Crystallographic Services at IMSERC
The Crystallography Facility supports Northwestern's research and external users by performing solid-phase, single-crystal, and powder analyses on a variety of samples such as drug candidates, catalysts, organic or inorganic LEDs, and energy storage networks. IMSERC Crystallography staff provide service work and offer training to qualified researchers to solve their own structures and/or collect their own data.
List of Services
- Atomic structure determination from either single crystal or powder diffraction data using X-ray, Neutron, or Synchrotron radiation
- Identification and purity analysis of bulk samples using powder diffraction (coupled with elemental analysis)
- Total scattering methods for the structure determination of nanoparticles and amorphous materials
- Two-dimensional micro-diffraction of samples with small volume (< 1 mm 3)
- In-situ/operando monitoring of reactions, structural/phase transformations, and/or decomposition of materials
- Crystallization and/or co-crystallization of new compounds
Full structure determination provides atomic coordinates in three-dimensional space that can be used for publication purposes in peer-review journals. Coordinates and other structural metrics will be provided in a Crystallographic Information File (CIF) along with a Crystallographic report which contains refinement details and references.
Steps for Starting Projects
Set up and account in NUcoreAccount request for External User
Submit project request or contact an IMSERC staff member
Contact an IMSERC Crystallography staff before initial submission to validate that your sample is suitable for crystallographic analysis. If you are not certain about the right service request, please contact us.Start new project using form for external users
Ship or drop off samples
Ship or drop off samples in the Crystallography lab (BG62) in IMSERC. You will typically be contacted within 2 business days with data or to set a schedule with you for analysis. Please wait until you receive confirmation from an IMSERC staff member and shipping address before mailing samples for analysis.